Sunday, May 15, 2011
Elizabeth Todd was my great grandfather's elder sister. She was born in 1877 in Ireland and travelled with her parents, Robert and Jane Todd, to New Zealand on the ship Hydaspes, arriving at Lyttleton on 10 August 1878.
Elizabeth and Moses Hanrahan (1872 - 1959) had seven children:
1. Ellen Jane "Nellie" Hanrahan (19 April 1905 - 1996). Nellie married John Crawford in 1927. Nellie and my grandmother were first cousins, and Nanna was very fond of Nellie. I'm unsure if they knew each other prior to the Todd family reunion in 1978, but certainly following that occasion, they kept in contact by letter, and with Nanna going to visit Nellie in Christchurch from time to time. Nellie had a family of four children.
2. Mary Carmen Hanrahan (23 April 1907 - 2002). Mary married William Dowling and had a family of six children.
3. Thomas Lancelot Hanrahan (3 June 1908 - 1985). Tom married Gladys Bruce (18 October 1911 - 1995) and had three children.
4. Robert James Hanrahan (7 February 1910 - 2002). Robert married Jean Garth (4 December 1909 - 1993) and had four children.
5. Veronica Elizabeth Hanrahan (18 January 1912 - 1997). Veronica married Stewart McBryde (6 September 1911 - 1976). Veronica had three children.
6. Halord Patrick Hanrahan (1914 - 1916). Halord died before his second birthday.
7. John Stewart Hanrahan (12 July 1917 - 1994). John married Daphne Rance and had five children.
Moses died in 1954 and Elizabeth died five years later in 1959.