William Henry Hales arrived in New Zealand from Canada, via Australia around 1856. At first he worked as a builder and contractor with respect to bridges and roads, and then became Assistant Engineer building roads around the Wanganui/Rangitikei area. He moved between Wellington and Wanganui several times. In between, he also moved to Farewell Spit to erect the lighthouse there. When the Public Works Department was established in 1871, he obviously became an Officer. He spent around ten years in Auckland as a District Engineer also. Finally they retired back to Wellington. The family were obviously theatrically talented, as is evidenced by their sons' successful theatrical pursuits.
|William Henry Hales|