Emily was from a Wanganui family and her parents were Frederick John and Jane Elizabeth Whitlock.
Frederick John Whitlock married Jane Elizabeth Parsloe in 1868, and they went on to have six children.
1. Frederick and Jane's eldest son was Francis Parsloe Whitlock. Francis was born on 13 April 1869 at the Brewery on the River bank in Wanganui. in 1898 he married Florence Thorogood in Victoria, Australia. He had at least one child - a son also called Francis Parsloe Whitlock (1900 - 1939). Frank Snr died on 10 March 1949.
2. Frederick and Jane's eldest daughter was Marion Caroline Whitlock. She was born on 29 July 1870. On 17 July 1894 she married Auguste Louis Soufflot, a French surveyor, at Christ Church in Wanganui. Marion died on 23 May 1961 at the Raetihi Hospital. Marion and Auguste's children are noted in the Soufflot post on this blog.
3. Frederick and Jane's next daughter was Emily Blanche Whitlock. Emily was born on 8 April 1873 at the Wanganui Hotel. This is the Emily who married Alister's Great Great Uncle James Munro Bertram.
4. Frederick and Jane's second son, Frederick John Whitlock was born in 1875. Frederick married Marion "May" Ball on 4 December 1902 at Trinity Wesleyan Church in Wanganui. He died in 1966 at the grand age of 91.
5. Frederick and Jane's youngest son was Percival Sydney Whitlock. He was born on 1 September 1876 in Wanganui. Percy married Evelyn Chesman Wilton on 18 April 1908. Percy also lived to the age of 91, dying in 1968.
6. Frederick and Jane's youngest child was Hilda Kate Whitlock and she was born in 1879. Hilda never married and died in 1956.
Wikipedia contains an entry about Fred's business: