Wednesday, June 1, 2011
The Marshall family
Alister's great Grandfather, Herbert Bertram's eldest sister was Marion Mary Bertram. Marion was born in 1863 and must have been named after her maternal grandmother. She must have grown up around the Feilding/Halcombe area. On 27 October 1886 she married a local, Isaac Marshall, in Wanganui. They had four children:
Claude Bertram "Bert" Marshall was born on 23 August 1887. Bert married Sarah Hyett "Tottie" Davis on 5 February 1912 at Whangamomona. Bert died on 23 September 1939 in Stratford, Taranaki. Bert and Tottie had children as follows:
1. Marion Elizabeth "Bessie" Marshall
2. Moera Denbigh "Bunny" Marshall was born in Feilding on 3 February 1914. Bunny married Maureen Grace Peterson on 1 June 1950 and died at New Plymouth on 27 January 1992. They had six children:
- Bertram Isaac Haslem Marshall (2 March 1951, Stratford - 3 December 1953, Auckland)
- Margaret Susan Marshall
- Barbara Fay Marshall
- Peter Denbigh Marshall
- Valerie Lynette Marshall
- Shirley Christine Marshall
3. Raymond Bertram Marshall was born at Whangamomona on 4 July 1917. He married Pearl Elizabeth Wallace on 21 June 1944 in Stratford and died on 28 December 1984 in New Plymouth. Ray and Pearl had one daughter; Jocelyn Anne Marshall.
4. Christine Jean Marshall
5. Thomas Isaac Marshall
6. James Alister "Jim" Marshall was born on 10 June 1928 at Stratford. Jim married Nora Bishop on 16 February 1951 at Hawera. Jim died in Inglewood on 8 April 1988. Jim appears to have been named after his father's young half brother, also called "James Alister Marshall" who died as an 8 year old in 1910. Jim and Nora had three children:
- Valda Marshall
- Lynda Marshall
- Keith James Marshall
Marion Bessie Marshall 1889 - 1974
Robert Isaac "Bob" Marshall 1891
Christina Annie Marshall 1893
Marion died at the age of 30 on 9 August 1893 and is buried at the Feilding Cemetery.
Isaac later remarried Sarah Brown McDougall in September 1896 and went on to have eight more children.