Sunday, July 8, 2012

Brownie family

Alister's grandmother, Patricia Transom's maiden name was Brownie.

John Brownie (1849 - 18 September 1933, Dunedin) arrived in New Zealand via Otago on the 10 February 1874 on the ship Atrato. He was listed as being aged 23 and travelled with three other young men - they were all carpenters and were all from "Wigtonsh" (Wigtownshire is one of the southern most counties of Scotland). The other three men were:
John Cumming aged 24
Robert Knowles aged 21
John Knowles aged 24

In 1876 John married Margaret Christie Forsythe (1859 - 2 August 1934, Wellington). John and Margaret were Alister's Great Great Grandparents. Together they had a family of nine children over 22 years:

1. Margaret Brownie (1878 - 1905). Margaret never married and died aged just 37 years of age.

2. John Brownie (1880) married Mary Ellen Barry (daughter of James and Ellen Barry) (1879) in 1905
2.1 Margaret Ellen Brownie (1906 - 1907). Died aged just sixteen months old.
2.2 John Brownie (22 August 1907 - 1988)

3. Richard Brownie (1882 - 1958) married Jessie Cragg (1881 - 1970) in 1910
3.1 Richard Clement Brownie (13 April 1911 - 2000)

4. Isabella Brownie (1884 - 12 August 1960, Wellington) married Matthew Spence (1879 - 27 December 1966, Wellington) in 1903. Isabella and Matthew were both cremated at the Karori Cemetery, Wellington

5. William Lawson Brownie (1886 - 9 January 1907). Died aged 20, with name William "Cameron" Brownie.  William's death was quite tragic, and followed an unhappy exchange with his father as reported in the Otago Witness on 23 January 1907:

An inquest was held on the 10th inst. at the Hospital by Mr C. C. Graham (coroner) and a jury of six, of whom Mr T. Scurr was chosen foreman, concerning the death of William Cameron Brownie, a young man who died in the institution early on Wednesday morning.
Sergeant King appeared for the police, and Mr A. C. Hanlon watched the proceedings on behalf of Mr J.Brownie (senior), the father of deceased.
Charles Young, labourer, at the North-East Valley, said that deceased was a cousin of his, and he identified the body.
Witness also knew the father of deceased, John Brownie. He saw the two together on the night of the 2nd inst. on the footpath at the Upper North-East Valley. A little brother of deceased's, Charles Brownie, was also there. The boy was crying and the father was trying to pacify him. Witness went up to Mr Brownie and told him the boy Charles and a little brother of witness's who was also present, were in his charge, and that they were all right. Deceased had not at that time come on the scene, but appeared soon afterwards. When deceased came up the father said he was going to take the boy Charles to the police, as he was neglected.
The Coroner: Mr Brownie is, I understand, separated from his wife, who has charge of the boy.
Mr Hanlon: Mr Brownie came up and found the child crying and said he would take it to the police.
Witness, continuing, said the time when this occurred would be about half-past nine. The boy did not want to go with his father, but wanted to go home to his mother. He started calling out for his brother (deceased), who came forward to take him by the hand. The father told deceased to let go, but he did not do so, and Brownie (senior) struck deceased on the shoulder with his fist. Deceased then struck back, and. several blows passed between the two. The fight lasted for about two minutes. Witness told deceased he had better get out of it, as people were coming down the footpath, and he ran away towards home. Brownie (senior) went into the middle of the road, picked up some metal, and ran after deceased. Witness saw no more of the affair.
To Sergeant King: Brownie struck deceased about the body, but witness could not say what part it was he struck. Could not say how many blows he struck. In conversation with deceased three quarters of an hour after the row, witness asked if Mr Brownie struck him in the face, and he replied no. He said the only blow he felt was the first one on his shoulder. There was nothing said about dumbbells.
Mr Hanlon: Deceased wae in the habit of using dumbbells, and told witness they were about 65 lbs in weight each. Witness corrected himself and said it was a bar-bell, and it weighed 65 lbs. Deceased told him he had had an accident with it on the Sunday, one of the balls coming off. This did not strike him, but the other ball, being without balance, came down and gave him a wrench. Deceased was a strong, active young man, and was more than a match for his father. He had the better of the row with his father. Noticed afterwards that the father had his face marked. Would not swear deceased received more than the one blow on the shoulder.
To Sergeant King: Both father and son were quite sober.
Dr Falconer, senior house surgeon at the Hospital, deposed that deceased was admitted to the Hospital on the evening of the 7th January, between 6.30 and 7 o'clock. He was complaining of great pain in the abdomen. He was examined by witness, and was found to be suffering from general peritonitis, the result of gangrenous appendicitis. Witness telephoned for Dr Stanley Batchelor, who at once came and operated on deceased. The abdomen was found to contain several pints of pus, and the appendix was in a state of gangrene. The case was practically hopeless from the first, and deceased died at 4 a.m. on the 9th inst., the cause ofdeath being gangrenous appendicitis. On admission deceased stated that the pain in the abdomen had come on on Thursday, January 3, about 2 or 3 p.m., and continued up to the time he was admitted to the Hospital. He also stated that he was of the opinion the pain was caused either by a blow he had received on the left side of the chest and lower ribs between 9 and 10 p.m. the evening before the 3rd, or that the pain was caused by a wrench he had received while exercising with a barbell, which had slipped and given him a wrench. He thought the wrench from the barbell was the more likely to have caused the trouble. He said it was at 7 p.m. two hours before the row he had - he received the wrench from the barbell. Witness would be disinclined to think either the blow or the strain was the actual cause of what deceased was suffering from. He would not be prepared to say either was the actual or exact cause of the appendicitis seeing how often it occurred without any apparent originating cause. In any case, the strain would be the more likely cause of the trouble. Four cases of appendicitis had come into the Hospital in three days, one being that of young Brownie, and there was no history in connection with any of them.
The Coroner said he did not think it was necessary to call a further witness mentioned by Sergeant King. The cause of death was no doubt acute appendicitis, and the only question for the jury to consider was how it originated, and whether it was caused by the blow received in the row with deceased's father or by the wrench deceased had got while exercising with the barbell, or arose from some extraneous cause. He did not think there was evidence sufficiently reliable to show that the blow caused the trouble, and he thought the only conclusion the jury could oome to was that the cause of death was appendicitis, but that the evidence was not sufficient to show what the exact cause of the appendicitis was. The jury returned a verdict that deceased died of acute appendicitis, but there was not sufficient evidence to show, the origin or cause of the same.

6. Alexander Wright Brownie (1889 - 25 July 1892). Died aged just three years.

7. James Christie Brownie (1894 - 16 June 1941) married Violet Ann Kitto in 1915 (1 February 1897 - 6 February 1991) Both James and Violet are buried at the Aramoho Cemetery in Wanganui. These were Alister's Great Grandparents.

8. Clement Christie Brownie (1896 - 1966) married Gladys Mary Lesley (12 November 1899 - 1998) in 1927. Clement served in WWI.

9. Charles Alexander Brownie (1900 - 1961) married Mary Muir Aitchison in 1927

Following John's death, Margaret seems to have moved to Wellington to live with her daughter Isabella (Mrs M Spence) whose husband obviously worked for the Defence Department in Trentham. Margaret seems to have been cremated at the Karori Cemetery, Wellington, and then these interred with her husband John at the Northern Cemetery in Dunedin. John's address at the time of his death was Melbourne Street, Dunedin and his occupation was listed as "builder."

No comments:

Post a Comment